Thursday, February 23, 2017

February 20, 2017 - Saving lives and saving souls!


Hey guys!

This last week went by in a blur!  I don't even know where all the time went!  To bring you guys up to date, this is my last 3 months, and I just got a new missionary to train this last week from Provo Utah!  His name is Elder Martinez!  He's super awesome, and honestly reminds me a lot of Martin Bunker back at home!  Martinez is just barely learning Spanish, and speaks and understands almost everything!  He's super excited to be learning, and is easy to teach!  Which is perfect cause there's a lot to teach with little time to teach it.

To let you guys know, no, I'm not getting trunky. I'm actually working harder than I've ever worked in my whole mission!  We're aiming to achieve some pretty high goals that our Mission President has given us - goals that still haven't been reached by any missionary here, so we´re going to be the first to achieve them!

That's why I haven´t taken any pictures this last week. We were crazy, running around everywhere trying to get to appointments on time talking to everyone in the street!  

One crazy story from this last week...we were crossing the street when I saw an old man leaning up against a wall trembling.  We walked up to him and asked if he was alright, and if there was anything we could do to help.  He said he had to get to the nearest Farmacia Guadalajar (Its like the Mexican version of Walgreens),  He needed to buy his medication.  We started to support him and walk with him, but he literally couldn't walk so great was his pain. I asked my comp if he knew how to do a fireman's carry, and we carried him to the pharmacy.  This old man was in a ton of pain, his whole body was trembling, and about half way there he fainted from how much pain he was in. So we readjusted, and kept on going, got him there, called for the medic, and laid him on the ground. The medic in the pharmacy then came and took over.

That's the first time I've gone into ´´Lifeguard´´ mode since I've been here on the mission.  It was rather interesting, and the first time I've had someone faint in my arms. 
 
On a better note, we´re on the good side of the ward now!  I'm starting to get everyone excited about missionary work, and getting more people to go with us in visits!  We're working on the whole getting references part, however that will come super quickly!!!  

This week I'm going to be giving a talk in the sacrament Meeting! I'm going to talk about the power that (you) the members have in bringing others unto the gospel!  For example, when Abinadi preached and taught, no one listened to him. He preached with such great power that the light of Christ shone from his countenance, and everyone was afraid to touch him fearing that they would be struck down by God. Even though he taught with great power and authority, only one person repented of their sins, and came unto Christ. Then that one person (Alma) one of the people, began to teach the gospel, (using the same words that Abinidi taught), about 500 people repented and came unto Christ. 
 
Whats the difference between the two? No one there knew Abinidi, however Alma was a good friend of many.  He had influence over many, and so their hearts were open to hearing his words. Each and every one of you have that same opportunity with those you know.  Trust that God is preparing them to listen to you, and take the first step in either bringing the gospel up to them, or passing their reference to the missionaries!

Love you guys a ton! 
Elder Pettingill

Also these are photos of some pretty cool aqueducts that I found here!

No comments:

Post a Comment