Monday, February 15, 2016

February 15, 2016 - It's only Tetanus... no big deal...

Baptism of Jesus Gil and his son

Valentines treats sent by Mom... what's left of them anyway!

Feliz dia de Amistad y Amor!!!!

This week has been another crazy week of Misionarying!!!  So, first off, as a zone we all played Ultimate Frisbee, which was great! I've missed being able to run around and get super tired and sore, (usually I just walk around and get tired and sore).  That was this last Monday, and that basically started off a week of getting everything ready for a ton of baptism on Saturday.  This whole week was basically going from one place to another, marrying people who needed to get married (they only need to get married if they are living together and aren't already married to their spouse) and fixing problems here and there that came up.

The baptisms were great. The family that was from my and my comps area was a dad and his son, who wanted to get baptized.  The dad is Jesus Gil, and he's had nervous system problems since he was about 26.  It was difficult to get him baptized. I ended up carrying him (really heavy) in and out of the baptismal font to get baptized. We had a teeny tiny chair in the font to get him baptized, and it took two of us to baptize him without drowning him.  The baptism of the son went great, and the rest of the zone was baptizing the rest of the day! I also baptized two of the people in one of the hermanas areas.  It was a perfect day. Everything went great!  Its days like those when you know that the next day is going to be a super difficult day. Which it turned out to be.
On Sunday when we went around in the morning to wake everyone up and make sure they were going to church, I really had to go to the bathroom.  The nice thing about my area, is that there are a lot of abandoned homes, and so when you really got to go, you can just go!  Well, so I went into an abandoned house, and on the way out, I didn't see the nail that was sticking straight up out of the ground, and it kinda went through my shoe and my foot.....  Not all the way through!  It wasn't too bad, but had to go get stuff done so I just kinda forgot about it and kept on working. 
Well after we got most of the people sent off to church, we went to the people who had to go get the Holy Ghost confirmed onto them, and they weren't even ready...  Then their land lord showed up, and blocked us from leaving their apartment with his truck.  I had already been having kinda a bad day, and well to put it lightly, I don't think this man ever expected to see an angry gringo speak Spanish before.  I wasn't too mad, I was just speaking really fast (we were really late) and was annoyed at all the little things that Satan was throwing in our path.
After we finally were on our way to the church, I didn't think anything else could go wrong at this point!  I was so wrong, there was soo much traffic, and then the car broke down in the middle of the street. My comp and I pushed the car about a block, then we all hopped into a taxi, and finally got there! The day was just beginning. 

Everything at this point had calmed down a bit, so I went to call my Mission President for permission to go get a tetanus shot, but he didn't answer so I just left a message. By then word had gotten to the other missionaries that a nail went through my foot, and the hermanas started going on about how I was going to die the next day if I didn't get that shot (not dramatic at all). So we went to all the hospitals looking for a tetanus shot, most of them weren't open, the others didn't have it.  I was told to come back on Monday, and that I had three days until anything bad happened. 
Then I went today!  And, apparently the tetanus shot isn't something that's been distributed here in Cuauhtemoc in a while!!  I seriously doubt it though so I'm going to try a couple other hospitals today to see.  
Ive got three days left to live!!! WOOO!  Haha na, jk guys, don't worry!  They said that if I couldn't find it, I should be fine with washing it with soap and water.
So I know this was a rather long story.....  But the moral is that there are good days, and there are bad days.  There's opposition to all things, how could we learn to enjoy the good, if we never knew what the bad was? 
Love you guys!!!
Siempre Fuerte,
Elder Pettingill

No comments:

Post a Comment